Thursday, January 19, 2012

Finishing Touches

I was getting really frustrated with trying to figure out how to "finish" my living room. So rather than go it alone and probably make tons of mistakes which would equal many trips to the store for returns or exchanges.. I opted to get help from a design blogger.

Meet Brooke of The Modern Sophisticate

I happened upon her blog maybe two weeks ago and loved every post. I especially loved her fashion-inspired design boards.

Tom Ford's collection that I LOVED!


I was so smitten by her interpretation of Ford's collection and just overall style aesthetic. We shared so many favs, styles and looks.

I shot Brooke an email and almost a week later, I had a design board to finish my living room. It was if she had read my mind but added edits because I can get out of hand... really quickly, just ask Hubby.

So here is the first board:


She gave me drama, texture, Neoclassic, Modern, Vintage and glam. What I especially loved was the Arteriors Mirabelle Twelve Light Chandelier. That chandelier is so fab and would totally make my living room SANG!!! Not sing.. SANG! So yeah, I'm gonna have to save up for that baby.

I loved the idea of black drapes but for some reason, I thought that black drapes would be too something...for the space..even though I have the black fireplace and the piano. I decided to hold a black table cloth up the the window and wasn't in love. It was just as I suspected.. too severe. Boo!

I emailed my concerns to Brooke and she sent me another board in the blink of an eye.


This board is giving quiet sophistication, which is what I'd like the living room to feel and look like. I love the shade of gray, which is neither too light or dark. And the gray with the brass and gold tones really work well to me.

I've already ordered the brass curtain rods, the drapes and lamps. I'm looking for a source for custom bolster pillows. I will head to Home Goods for the bone boxes and Mongolian throw pillows, they always have those items there and for great prices.

I will order the Flokati rug probably at the end of the month and try to find someone to buy me the "to the trade" large scale Greek key to trim the drapes.

I can't wait to see how it turns out.

3 comments:

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

So excited for you!! I like the idea of gray in a space. I can't wait to see the finished result. :)

P.S. I love this... said...

Hey GP!

Thanks.. I love the idea of gray too. I'm hoping to be all finished and share the complete look at the end of the month.. or middle of next. I'm shooting for the former though.

Unknown said...

sAh!!!! I am SO excited for your new room! I have some seriously house envy going on. It's clients like you that make my job the greatest job in the whole world. Thanks for the wonderful post! I'm off to post about this on my blog.